Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Things I'm Thankful for Series- #2

Our Jobs

It's been a little over 3 months at my new job and I love it.  I have a great, easy-going boss who let's me handle/learn many different tasks and does not micro manage at all.  The coworkers who sit right around me are all kind and so helpful whenever I have a question.  The City as a whole just has a really positive work environment.  For example, we have an employee wellness program that pays you cash and extra vacation days for things such as attending wellness seminars, being a member of a health club, reading a book for pleasure, running a 5k etc.  We are also working to become a "high performing organization" which is a workplace philosophy based on employee empowerment and less traditional levels of decision making.  Pretty progressive for the public sector!

I have also been asked to be on the newly formed ITS Steering Committee, due to my experience as a Business Analyst at the City of Minneapolis.  We had our Steering Committee kick off today and I think I'm going to be able to give a lot of good insight from things I learned at Minneapolis and also make some great connections with people in other departments.

The last awesome part about my job is my boss has already asked me to go full time next January when the new budgets are created!  It's a perfect transition period; I'll be able to drop Eva off right before her lessons start and pick her up right when they are done for a year and then once she's a bit older she can start staying for after school care.   

Now for Jason's job.  He was promoted to Assistant Superintendent of the golf course this year and while it means a raise, the most important part is it means lots more responsibility and now he is only one spot away from being the boss :-)  His boss, the Superintendent, has said he plans on moving onto a larger course within a few years so we're hopeful that Jason will be promoted again by the time Eva is in kindergarten. 

After years of questionable employment in the Parks house, it's nice to have some stability!

No comments:

Post a Comment