Friday, May 4, 2012

Brad Paisley

I am by no means a country girl... I hate bugs or being dirty, camping in anything other than a cabin with running water is nowhere on my list of things I'd like to spend my time doing and the entire southern half of the United States makes me want to gag 99% of the time- but that doesn't mean I don't love me some country music!

My favorite for the past few years has been Brad Paisley.  I'm not sure how he votes, but I'd bet my left leg that he's a Democrat- he even performed at the White House for Obama's inauguration and cried (happy tears!)  I love that he infuses socially progressive lyrics into his songs, which isn't easy to do when the majority of your fan base are NRA members.  Many country songs, even in 2012, are still very redneck and hateful with major undertones of racism and bigotry.  

Here are some Brad Paisley lyric samples:

"Welcome To the Future"
I had a friend in school
Running back on the football team
They burned a cross in his front yard
For asking out the homecoming queen
I thought about him today
And everybody who'd seen what he'd seen
From a woman on a bus
To a man with a dream

Chorus:
Hey, wake up Martin Luther
Welcome to the future
Hey, glory, glory, hallelujah
Welcome to the future


"Camouflage"
Well the stars and bars offend some folks and I guess I see why
Nowadays there's still a way to show your southern pride
The only thing as patriotic is the old red white and blue
Is green and gray and black and brown and tan all over too

Camouflage, camouflage
Designed by Mother Nature and by God


"American Saturday Night"
You know everywhere there's something there known for
Although usually it washes up on our shores
My great great great granddaddy stepped off that ship
I bet he never ever dreamed we'd have all this

You know everywhere has somethin' there known for
Although usually it washes up on our shores
Little Italy, Chinatown, sittin' there side by side
Live from New York, It's Saturday Night!

French kiss, Italian ice,
Spanish moss in the moonlight
Just another American Saturday night!


No comments:

Post a Comment