Friday, December 7, 2012

Eva's Book Review- December

We have arrived!

An entire year of reading, reading, reading with Eva and twelve months of book reviews.  Some of them weren't always the most in depth reviews but hey, working moms are busy ladies.  I think this was probably the best new year's resolution I made for 2012.  Not only did I keep it (which I cannot say for the improving my yoga skills resolution!) but I have watched Eva blossom.  I know it is partly from her growing older, but I'd like to believe that taking a zealous approach on her exposure to books is one of the reasons she's well prepared for kindergarten.

Since it's the Christmas seasons we're focusing on- you guessed it- Christmas books.

1. The Biggest, Most Beautiful Christmas Tree by Little Golden Books
Another gem from when I was a little girl. I adored this story when I was a child, so I jumped on the chance to buy this classic when I came across it at a consignment sale.  It's the story of three animal families that live in a big fir tree. Every year, Santa misses them and doesn't bring any presents, which makes the children, Little Nina & Nutley so very sad.  Turns out- Santa doesn't know that they are there! So, they turn their tree into the biggest Christmas tree in the forest and from then on, Santa never missed them again.

Super cute story and Eva always likes when I read her books that I read when I was younger.  It's as though her 4 year old mind can't grasp how a book could be that old, because mommy is ancient. Ha!


2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
I have never understood why this book isn't titled "How the Grinch Tried to Steal Christmas" because, well, as any mom of a preschooler and/or book lover knows- the Grinch does not steal Christmas.

Every Who down in Who-ville, the tall and the small,
Was singing! Without any presents at all!
He HADN'T stopped Christmas from coming! IT CAME!
Somehow or other, it came just the same!

And the Grinch, with his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow,
Stood puzzling and puzzling:"How could it be so?
It came without ribbons! It came without tags!
"It came without packages, boxes or bags!"
And he puzzled three hours, `till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store.
"Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"

We both love this story and Eva seems to identify with Cindy Lou-Who... probably the whole tiny girl who wakes up in the middle of the night to be high maintenance and need a drink.  Also, if I may toot my own horn for just a moment, I read this sucker spot on- which is not easy to do with Seuss books- the very first time I read it to Eva. Go mommy!


3. The Christmas Baby by Marion Dani Bauer
This book actually makes me cry. And then Eva looks at me like I'm a crazy person since I'm crying over a book about baby Jesus... c'est la vie.

The illustrations are gorgeous and the story follows Jesus’ birth and then ties it into the birth of every baby since.  It compares the shepherds and the wise men coming to visit to the way grandparents and aunts and uncles and friends all come to visit a new baby when they are born.  The last line of the book freaking gets me and I can barely choke it out, no matter how many time I read it. I’m a sap- I know, but I highly recommend this book for Christmas time reading.  It will fill you with wonder and awe as you stare and your child and remember that they are an amazing gift from God.

P.S. I love the one little lamb in the bottom left of the cover that is looking at the reader while all the other animals look elsewhere.




4. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore
It's a classic, it must be read every year.  Eva isn't a huge fan of this book, the old English style writing is a bit above her head and the fact that Santa smokes upsets her. She is so funny like that.  Also, she thinks I'm tricking her when I say the "laying a finger aside his nose" line- as if I'm saying Santa is picking his nose and that just cannot be true.  So, I told her to learn how to read faster and she'll know if I'm pulling her leg for not :)

That's all folks! Thanks so much for tuning in for our first year of book reviews; I plan to continue this into the new year and add on a review of monthly kid activities as well.  Bring on 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment