Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Promise to my Eva

I came across this photo on Facebook and, for whatever reason, it actually made me choke up.  I don't know if it's the words of the promise themselves or the thought of Eva being grown up that it implies, but it reminds me that loving Eva is at the very core of my being.  I love her so much it hurts, and not in the youthful way that you love a boyfriend so much it "hurts" (when he breaks up with you) or even in the way I love Jason.  Loving Eva is my life; I am made happy in my own right by being with her and laughing with her and singing and playing and eating and sleeping and swimming and running and joking and everything else we do.  I cannot put into words how much I love her, so I won't even try.  A daughter loves her mother more than she can explain and yet, not until she is a mother herself does she realize just how much more her mother loved her.

It is often said that to love and to be loved is the supreme happiness in life. I think it's more specific than that. I think the supreme joy in life is to be a mother- only then will you know the two most important things in the world; how much you are loved by your mother and how much love you can hold in your heart for your child.  No romantic love can compare to the pure, unconditional, undying love you feel for your child.

So today, like every day before it, is the first day of the rest of my life of loving Eva more than I did the day before and more than anyone else ever will.

No comments:

Post a Comment