Thursday, September 20, 2012

Eva's Book Review- September

For those of you keeping score, yes I missed the second reading selection for July... and for August.  We had a visit from Katie and back to school and State Fair and in-law visit and... time just got away from me. Now it's almost October- gah! 

So back at it we go.  It's not that we haven't been reading, I just haven't been blogging about it- but I'll pick up where I had left off.

Tomie DePaola was our theme for awhile.  I really enjoy when authors have enough good books that I can do an entire section on them.  DePaola, author of the famed Strega Nona and many, many other books has been a favorite of mine since childhood.  Accents and funny voices are lost over the internet but I still remember my mom's goofy way of saying, "Bubble, bubble pasta pot. Boil me some pasta nice and hot" with an Italian accent.  Side note: Katie also used the same accent when she was reading Strega Nona to Eva during her visit. Love it!

1. Strega Nona
Who doesn't know the story of Strega Nona!?  Winner of the Caldecott Honor in 1976, it's the story of a magical witch in an Italian village and her meddling helper Big Anthony. We've had this book in our home library since Eva was an infant, but she's finally old enough to appreciate it now.  I do a mean Italian accent so this is one of Eva's favorites and she seems to love books where people get their comeuppance; Big Anthony having to eat a whole village of pasta must seem so cool to a 4 year old.


2. The Art Lesson
Eva and I both love this one. It's about coloring and art, which Eva is obsessed with as of late, but the message of the book is also one of individuality and the perseverance to go your own path.  Maybe it's the Montessori-esque theme to it but we both really love the story and pictures and enjoy the fact that, in the end, little Tommy is allowed to do his own thing.  


3. Let the Whole Earth Sing Praise
Every now and then I'll do a religious theme for the month, but this one just happened to fit in with de Paola so it was a bonus.  This is a beautiful story of the earth and all its creations and everything God has made for us.  This book always sparks a conversation for Eva about God and how he's always with us even when we're alone and how he loves us as much as mommy and daddy love us.  I love that she's becoming old enough to understand God and all that He means and we can have real conversations about her faith. 

4. Pancakes for Breakfast
This one is pretty self explanatory- plus, it's only a picture book, so Eva wasn't very interested.  Great start for children though who need an introduction to Tomie.

No comments:

Post a Comment