Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Kindergarten Screening

Eva had her screening for kindergarten last Tuesday and I was a nervous wreck.  I am so A-type that it's hard not to push my perfectionist standards onto her.  It probably didn't help that in the car ride over I asked her some very basic questions (that I know she knows) and she refused to answer them or said she had no idea.

At any rate, the screening was wonderful.  She was able to answer all of the questions and do the different tests they wanted. About the only thing wrong was her sass. I think she thought the teacher was messing with her when she asked certain questions.
Example:
"Eva, can you count these blocks for me?"
Eva counts them and says there are 10.
Then the teacher asks, "How many blocks are there?"
Eva looked at her as if to say, "Lady, I just told you there are 10, were you not listening?" but thankfully she just said, "Tennnn" is a dramatic voice.

Turns outs "hanging on" to a number like that is very good for a kid Eva's age- so I'm happy- it was just so funny to watch the whole interaction and see my 34lb child talking to a grown woman as if she was the child.

We're still exploring our options for kindergarten next year- open enrolling her in a public school versus staying in Montessori- but it's nice to know that she's on par to succeed in either setting we choose.

She had so much fun talking about big girl kindergarten that she wanted to wear her backpack with chapter books around the house for 2 days. Diva!

No comments:

Post a Comment