Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Eva Goes to Kindergarten

I feel like I was just helping Eva learn how to walk... and yet, there we were, registering her for Kindergarten last night!  The new school is huge... we're talking over a thousand kids in grades K-5th huge, but somehow it didn’t seem to overwhelm her. Maybe it was because the normal throngs of children weren’t present and it was just kindergartners getting acclimated to things… maybe it was because just as Eva was about to protest leaving me and going with the other kids she saw her bestie Sadie… maybe it was because, like she’s said time and again, she really is just that excited for “big girl” school.  Whatever the reason, the night went wonderfully and I got an awesome vibe from the teachers and administrators.

I may or may not have posted on here about my initial experience with this school from last year. When I called the front office and asked if we could come for a tour I was told, in so many words, that no I absolutely could not and that if I had any doubt about how exceptional the school was all I needed to do was look at their state standardized tests scores. It put a very sour taste in my mouth as I do not think a standardized test is the best way to tell if my child will thrive in a certain learning environment. I wanted to see the actual kindergarten rooms and talk to the teachers and see how Eva would react. We were able to do all of those things last night and it was great… but if I ever find out which office lady was so smug on the phone all those months ago I still might give her what for!


In addition to getting a feel for the school, the main point of the evening was to let parents know where their kids should be academically before the first day of school.  Eva has all but a few of the skills down so we bought some upper and lower case alphabet magnets and will be buying a few of the books they suggested are best for learning letters and sounds, since that's really the last area where she needs some work.  Now that her hearing is fixed I'm hopeful she'll get through her letters and be ready to go on day one :-)

She starts kindergarten in exactly 20 weeks from today! Wow wow and wow...  


The BFFs (Eva's words, not mine lol)

Too... much... excitement... can't... stay... awake.......... 

No comments:

Post a Comment