Thursday, September 12, 2013

My Mom

I work for an awesome employer with a really kick ass wellness program. We have wellness "passports" that we fill out during the year and then turn them in for everything from cash to extra vacation days. Every month there is a wellness speaker and this month it was based on the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and Circles of Support.  The speaker asked each of us to pick a person in our life that filled one of 4 key roles. I honestly didn't go into it even thinking about my mom; I was sort of assuming my answers would be Jason or friends or something, but as the speaker read the description of each category, I found myself putting "mom" one after another.
 
Warrior: This person will fight for you to the end. They believe in your ability to do anything and everything you set your mind to and are the first to tell the world how amazing you are. The will fiercly protect you from anything that life might throw your way.
 
Nuturer: This person loves you unconditionally and tells you that often. They encourage your dreams and give you reassurance when you doubt yourself.  They are gentle and kind in all the ways you need them to be.
 
Spiritual Guide: This person helps renew your faith and is there in times of spiritual turmoil. They help you to see the greater message in things and to look beyond yourself.
 
Emotional Support: When you have had the worst day possible, and all you want to do is go home and cry, this is the person you want to cry to. When everyone else is either annoying you or annoyed by you, this person is your rock.
 
As you can see from my notes below, I put my mom for #1-3 and Jason for #4.
 
Jason pokes fun at me about being so close with my mom. "Oh hey, have you talked to your mom yet today? No, okay... well you will." Sometimes it annoyes me, I feel like he's calling me a baby or a mama's girl or needy. But, the more I think about it, the more I don't mind. I am very close with my mom- and that's okay. She isn't just my mom, she is my best friend, and I know people who would give anything in the world for just one more moment with their mothers. One more hug, one more piece of advice, one more "I love you"... so from this day on I vow to never be ashamed to love and need my mom and much as I do.  I can only hope that Eva grows to love and respect me as much as I love and respect my mom and if life and loss has taught me anything, it's to never be too proud to tell people how much you cherish them.
 
I love you mom, always have, always will.  You are my warrior, nuturer and spiritual guide. All that I am, I owe to you.  
 
As is the mother, so is her daughter. ~Ezekiel 16:4
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment