Thursday, September 30, 2010

Politics Quiz on Minnesota Public Radio

With just 33 days until the mid-term elections, I've been keeping track of the candidates through MPR.  Minnesota doesn't have any senators up for re-election so our big race is for Governor.  The Democratic candidate is Mark Dayton; he is our former senator (peer of my beloved Paul Wellstone) and a member of the Dayton (as in Dayton Hudson Corp) family that I used to work for.  I will be voting for him for a number of policy reasons.  For example, he supports increasing income tax on the highest Minnesota earners instead of increasing sales tax on clothes and food, which is really just a regressive tax that hurts the lower and middle class.  I also like that he himself is very wealthy, yet supports paying more taxes and I know, from doing the paperwork, that he and his family don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk.  They donate large amounts of their income to charities and non-profit organizations. 

So even though I know who I'm voting for, I took the MPR Governor Quiz to see what it would say.  What blew my mind was not that Dayton matched me on the most issues, but that Republican candidate Tom Emmer matched me on exactly ONE issue out of 15!

This man blows my mind... and not in a good way.  This is the guy who- with DWIs on his own record- wants to reduce the severity of DWI tickets.  To be exact, he wants people accused of drunk driving to be able to still drive until actually found guilty.  As in you can blow a .20 BAC but until the court system can actually get around to scheduling your hearing you are allowed to keep on driving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment