Saturday, October 2, 2010

Waiting for Superman

I went to the Uptown Theater last night with my good friend Jen to see a documentary called Waiting for Superman.  It's about the current public education system in American and how horribly it is failing.  It had the normal documentary hallmarks; startling statistics, dramatic music, personal interviews with people on opposites sides of the debate etc.  I always like documentaries and feel better about myself after watching them, as though sitting through a 2 hour film has somehow made me a more knowledgeable and, therefore, civically minded person.  In reality though, I usually revert back to my old ways after a week or so of saying I'm going to change the world. 

I didn't do much of anything to change my carbon foot print after watching An Inconvenient Truth...

I haven't written to any elected officials about the healthcare system since seeing Sicko...

I still eat at McDonalds after watching Super Size Me...

But I've made a commitment that this documentary will not go the way of so many before it and have only a passing impact on my life.  I will work everyday to not only prepare Eva for school, but to instill in her a sense of gratitude that I'm afraid she's already lacking.  We are so incredibly lucky to have access to the schools that we do (i.e. decent public schools and affordable private schools) in our neighborhood.  When we send Eva to preschool next year I want her to always remember that most children- abroad or in the U.S.- will never have half of the opportunities that she will in her life and to never take anything for granted. 

I encourage everyone to see the film and learn about ways that we can improve our education system so that our children aren't robbed of the bright and intelligent futures they deserve. 

 "The fate of our country won't be decided on a battlefield, it will be determined in a classroom."

http://www.waitingforsuperman.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment